Despite Tohru’s best efforts, she can’t seem to stop Kyo and Yuki from continuing to try to best one another. They’re both so stubborn, it’s looking like an impossible task.
What did you watch?
I’ve almost wrapped up all my shows from the winter schedule and yet, somehow, I’m three weeks into the spring schedule already. So far, I’m very happy with my selections. There have been some concerns, but I’m confident that things are heading in the right direction.
It’s the cultural festival at school and Tohru’s class has been given the task of producing the rice balls. There have been some reasonable suggestions and then there was Kyo’s suggestion which involves some sort of deathmatch. Naturally, Yuki shoots him down and goes in a different direction.
Kyo confides in Tohru about how much he envies Yuki and his ability to talk to people. Later as Yuki walks Tohru home from work, he tells her that he is jealous of Kyo’s ability to allow people close to him. Not only are they complete opposites, but they both envy each other.
What did you think?
There were some funny moments and some sweet moments. I am enjoying this series despite it being far from my usual choice of show. It is starting to get interesting too as more and more of the Soma clan appear, despite no formal introduction yet.
What was your favourite moment?
There’s was a heartfelt moment where Yuku was confiding in Tohru. She was just about to say something sincere when a drunk office worker stumbled into her and told them to get home and stop flirting. Unfortunately, he knocked her into Yuki turning him into a rat.
What was your least favourite moment?
Yuki seems to have quite the temper and lashes out at Kyo without warning. Seems to be fairly cruel and more than a little unstable, whether he’s jealous or not, that’s no reason to act out like this. I definitely prefer Kyo to Yuki so far.
Who was your favourite character?
She was only briefly in this episode and the others, but I love Tohru’s friends. They are crazy and protective. It was awesome when Arisa slammed her lead pipe down on the table of the girls making fun of Tohru’s ideas and also when she challenged Kyo to a game or rich man, poor man. I look forward to them showing up more and more.
Who was your least favourite character?
I still don’t like Yuki too much. There’s something about his demeanour and way of speaking that just seems to run me the wrong way. Sure, he had some touching moments like the vegetable garden, but then he ruined it by force-feeding Kyo a chive rice ball.
Would you like some more?
Yes, surprisingly I am looking forward to the rest of the season and where it takes us. I think at this stage I’m on Kyo’s side, but really I just want more of Shigure and Tohru’s friends.
Other reviews in the series
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight