What anime recommendation have you tried this year?
Towards the end of last year, I opened an account with Funimation. It was primarily to rewatch Akira for my podcast. Then I got sucked into all these other shows. Fast forward to the beginning of this year. This one show kept popping up in my recommendations. It was one I knew about but had never seen, and I’d always put it off because of the number of episodes. That show is One Piece!
What made you try it?
If you know me at all, you’ll know that I like a good challenge. One Piece has over 800 episodes. Now, that’s a challenge. I originally challenged myself to watch one episode a day. There have been a couple of days where I’ve watched more than one, but I decided that if I’m going to watch anything else, I need to limit it to one a day.
So far, I have watched 315 episodes and on the whole, I am really enjoying the series. There are lots that I can take away as a fan and a writer. I’ll openly admit that I find the recap episodes to be incredibly frustrating. One Piece has quite a bit of filler that wasn’t in the manga, but I’m fine with that as I haven’t read past book five yet.
Obviously, this is going to be a very long challenge, but it has been good fun so far, especially interacting with the existing One Piece fans on Twitter, who seem to be getting a kick out of watching someone experience it for the first time.
Would you do a similar challenge again?
Funny you say that. The final season of Fairy Tale is airing and that’s another show that I’d be interested in getting through. Sure, it’s not as long as One Piece, so maybe, I’ll just try and squeeze it in too.
Anything else you’d like to say?
Don’t be afraid to try new shows. Sure, it’s great to have your favourites that you can return to time and time again, but it’s also a lot of fun venturing into new worlds and adventures, even if they’re over 800 episodes long. You can do it!
Other Posts in the Challenge
- What was your very first anime?
- Who was your first anime crush?
- Do you prefer Subs or Dubs?
- What anime deserves more love?
- What is your guilty pleasure anime?
- What anime recommendation have you tried this year?
- Who or what was the most annoying anime character?
- What is your favourite anime so far?
- What anime series will you never watch?
- What anime destroyed you emotionally?
- Who is your favourite female anime character?
- Who is your favourite male anime character?
- Who is your favourite anime couple?
- What is your favourite anime opening or ending?
- What anime has the best soundtrack?
- What is the last anime you watched?
- What is an anime you want to watch but haven’t yet?
- What is the weirdest anime you enjoyed?
- What anime would make a great video game?
- What video game would make a great anime?
- Share your favourite anime quote!
- What anime has the saddest death scene?
- What anime do you wish never ended?
- What anime had a big emotional impact on you?
- What is your comfort anime?
- Who is your favourite anime villain?
- What anime character are you most like?
- What anime has the best fight scene?
- What anime scared the crap out of you?
- What anime did you think you wouldn’t like, but ended up loving?