Who is your favourite anime villain?
This should be a tough question as there are so many ‘great’ villains. Anyone that has written an evil character will tell you that they are more fun to write than the heroes. With a villain, you can really enjoy yourself. There is, however, one villain that instantly springs to mind. She is General Esdeath from Akame ga Kill.
Why is that?
One of the things I really enjoyed in Akame ga Kill was how you got to see as much of the villains as you do of the heroes. It gave them life and purpose, some even had families and things outside of being an evil villain. It made it really interesting when it came to the fights and someone had to die.
Well, Esdeath is a straight-up psychopath. She enjoys torture and killing, but she’s not all bad… The manga does a much better job of showing just how evil she is, but that’s not uncommon. One criticism I’ve seen aimed at Esdeath is that it was absurd that she wanted a boyfriend. Well, I think that observation is absurd.
Just because she’s evil doesn’t mean she can’t want to be happy too. If that’s what she has decided she wants, then so what. In typical Esdeath fashion, she approaches as only she can, a list of dangerous and unlikely qualities to find in any person, but she doesn’t give up. The fact that she falls for Tatsumi just makes the whole situation that much more enjoyable.
Anything else you’d like to say?
As further proof of my love of Esdeath, I was inspired enough to dig out my old pencils and artbooks and draw her. Maybe one day, I’ll actually have the time to draw that manga I keep telling myself I’m going to do. One day…
Other Posts in the Challenge
- What was your very first anime?
- Who was your first anime crush?
- Do you prefer Subs or Dubs?
- What anime deserves more love?
- What is your guilty pleasure anime?
- What anime recommendation have you tried this year?
- Who or what was the most annoying anime character?
- What is your favourite anime so far?
- What anime series will you never watch?
- What anime destroyed you emotionally?
- Who is your favourite female anime character?
- Who is your favourite male anime character?
- Who is your favourite anime couple?
- What is your favourite anime opening or ending?
- What anime has the best soundtrack?
- What is the last anime you watched?
- What is an anime you want to watch but haven’t yet?
- What is the weirdest anime you enjoyed?
- What anime would make a great video game?
- What video game would make a great anime?
- Share your favourite anime quote!
- What anime has the saddest death scene?
- What anime do you wish never ended?
- What anime had a big emotional impact on you?
- What is your comfort anime?
- Who is your favourite anime villain?
- What anime character are you most like?
- What anime has the best fight scene?
- What anime scared the crap out of you?
- What anime did you think you wouldn’t like, but ended up loving?