What anime has the saddest death scene?
At first, I was going to say Grave of the Fireflies. It is tragic and heartbreaking, and to think that events like that were all too common as a result of the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki is incredibly disturbing. That said, I have decided to go with another death that hit me hard. It was the death of the mother in Violet Evergarden.
Why is that?
As far as I’m concerned Violet Evergarden was a spectacular masterpiece. It constantly tugs at your emotions. You would think that you would harden to it as the series goes on, but no. Each episode is brilliantly told and beautifully executed.
So, with the death in question Violet is assigned a job to write letters for a mother. She moves in with the mother and daughter for seven days. Anne, the daughter is angry that Violet is taking away her time with her mother. Eventually, Anne accepts Violet before she leaves.
When Violet arrives back at the post office, she reveals that she has written fifty letters to be delivered to Anne on her birthday for the next fifty years, each from her mother who died shortly after Violet left. We then get a time-lapse glimpse of Anne receiving the letters.
Anything else you’d like to say?
I think the only other time I’ve been so affected by an animated character was in Futurama when Fry decided not to revive his old dog who had been waiting outside the pizza shop for the rest of its life. Don’t ever get drunk and try to tell someone who’s never seen that episode about it. It won’t be pretty…
Other Posts in the Challenge
- What was your very first anime?
- Who was your first anime crush?
- Do you prefer Subs or Dubs?
- What anime deserves more love?
- What is your guilty pleasure anime?
- What anime recommendation have you tried this year?
- Who or what was the most annoying anime character?
- What is your favourite anime so far?
- What anime series will you never watch?
- What anime destroyed you emotionally?
- Who is your favourite female anime character?
- Who is your favourite male anime character?
- Who is your favourite anime couple?
- What is your favourite anime opening or ending?
- What anime has the best soundtrack?
- What is the last anime you watched?
- What is an anime you want to watch but haven’t yet?
- What is the weirdest anime you enjoyed?
- What anime would make a great video game?
- What video game would make a great anime?
- Share your favourite anime quote!
- What anime has the saddest death scene?
- What anime do you wish never ended?
- What anime had a big emotional impact on you?
- What is your comfort anime?
- Who is your favourite anime villain?
- What anime character are you most like?
- What anime has the best fight scene?
- What anime scared the crap out of you?
- What anime did you think you wouldn’t like, but ended up loving?