Who is your favourite anime couple?
So, this should be good. Anime has a number of very interesting relationship types and my favourite couple fit right into that mould. It may seem insane to pick a couple from a harem anime, but that’s what I’m doing. My favourite anime couple is Rias and Issei from High School DxD.
Why is that?
There are several reasons, but the most recent was in season four – Hero where I got so frustrated with Issei that I took to Twitter threatening to kick him in the nuts if he didn’t tell Rias he loved her. This is not my usual response to harem anime.
They have a fascinating relationship. She literally saved his life, making him a part of her devil family. Even though he was a massive screw up, she persisted with him. He had a quality that only she could see. Issei, himself, struggled to understand why she put up with him.
But time and time again, Issei has stepped up to save Rias and his friends. He has put his life on the line more times than you could imagine, enamouring himself with the other girls under Rias. There was a beautiful moment between Rias and Issei at the end of season three, once he’d saved her from the Juggernaut Drive.
What caused the Twitter rage?
Through season four, it became quite apparent that Rias had developed strong feelings for Issei and was struggling to see them returned. Issei had numerous times to confess his feelings, but he just kept blowing it. In one instance, Akeno referred to him as a useless dildo!
Issei, however, had the same feelings but couldn’t bring himself to act on them. In short, he was suffering from post-traumatic stress from the last time he opened up to a girl. She killed him, literally. Finally, though, he found the will to step up and save his nuts from my wrath…
Anything else you’d like to say?
I’m sure there will be people out there rolling their eyes at this, thinking it’s lewd and silly, how can there be a romance? To those people, I say ‘Pull that stick out of your arse and live a little.’ There is undoubtedly a romance element to High School DxD, maybe it’s not your magical view of romance, but it’s definitely there and I love it!
Other Posts in the Challenge
- What was your very first anime?
- Who was your first anime crush?
- Do you prefer Subs or Dubs?
- What anime deserves more love?
- What is your guilty pleasure anime?
- What anime recommendation have you tried this year?
- Who or what was the most annoying anime character?
- What is your favourite anime so far?
- What anime series will you never watch?
- What anime destroyed you emotionally?
- Who is your favourite female anime character?
- Who is your favourite male anime character?
- Who is your favourite anime couple?
- What is your favourite anime opening or ending?
- What anime has the best soundtrack?
- What is the last anime you watched?
- What is an anime you want to watch but haven’t yet?
- What is the weirdest anime you enjoyed?
- What anime would make a great video game?
- What video game would make a great anime?
- Share your favourite anime quote!
- What anime has the saddest death scene?
- What anime do you wish never ended?
- What anime had a big emotional impact on you?
- What is your comfort anime?
- Who is your favourite anime villain?
- What anime character are you most like?
- What anime has the best fight scene?
- What anime scared the crap out of you?
- What anime did you think you wouldn’t like, but ended up loving?